Summary Description: Ensure new and existing Whataburger restaurants are developed and maintained in accordance with established Company standards. Primary responsible for ensuring that engineering and architectural design criterion meets standards on all projects through proper process controls and document review. Verifies business vision is planned and implemented. Validates site specifications and requirements are met. Maintains accountability for successful completion of all quality assurance deliverables associated with a project. Assumes additional responsibilities as assigned.
Position Purpose: Director Position covers management of a strategic business unit or Division below Heads of Functions and/or those reporting to senior management. Contributes to the organization through individual work, through supervising the work of others, and through strategic thinking, communication and leadership. Incumbents may retain some of the duties from previous positions.
Team Function/ Scope: Serves as a member of the Property & Facilities Team and provides team leadership as needed. Significantly responsible for ensuring that restaurant and other facilities are developed and maintained to meet or exceed Company and regulatory standards.
- Accountable and responsible for precisely communicating risks, issues or opportunities that cannot be resolved or acted upon at the Director level.
- Manages and delegates work to design staff.
- Develops and implements quality assurance standards, processes and controls for new construction and enhancement projects.
- Develops methods for inspection and testing of design projects.
- Analyzes engineering and design specifications and observes processes to develop and install quality control methods.
- Maintains accountability for the successful completion of all Q/A deliverables associated with development projects.
- Audits design projects files for compliance and accuracy.
- Reviews designs, change specifications, and plans against contractual or process requirements.
- Prepares reports by collecting, analyzing and summarizing data from design audits.
- Maintains knowledge of Real Estate contracts and proposals litigation relate to slips and falls, and processes for critical deadlines. Works with real estate on condemnations and right of way acquisitions. Represents Whataburger before legal authorities and provides expert testimony.
- Bachelor's degree in construction, engineering, architecture, or related field preferred, or equivalent experience in real estate, engineering, construction, or architecture.
- Ten (10) years experience in architectural design / Civil Engineering
- Minimum 3 years experience in hands on project execution preferred
- 5 years leadership experience
- Strong project management experience
- Working knowledge of current construction and site development techniques
- Proficient in interpreting architectural rendering, strongly preferred
- Experienced in construction and development
- In-depth understanding of building codes
- Solid understanding of design techniques and familiarity with engineering terminology
- Mechanical aptitude with ability to complex mathematical calculations
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardizations exits